Interstate Batteries, the #1 replacement battery brand in North America, engaged Credera to achieve leadership’s strategic vision: develop a sales and marketing strategy which would enable corporate departments and 250+ independent Distributors to gain a single view of the battery market, including customers, prospects, competitors, and suppliers. The vision’s goals included increased revenue, real-time marketing plays, reduced Distributor operating costs, and continuing to provide customers with “Outrageous Dependability.”
Business intelligence was the backbone of this strategic initiative, bringing Interstate’s vision to life. Beginning with the end in mind, the business strategy explored other Fortune 500 company solutions to identify the best-of-breed business and technology solutions proven to solve complexities of real-time analytics and dynamic routing. Many marketing and business analytics could be predictive and prescriptive with the implementation of new processes and technologies. The business intelligence platform became an integral component in the strategic solution. A single user interface, comprised of 29 integrated systems, now provides distributors information that had previously been disparate, out of date, or unreachable. This information is displayed through reports and maps, providing a visual and intuitive way to quickly make strategic business decisions. The intelligence informs Marketing of trends and opportunities for unique, customized Marketing campaigns. By building a Business Intelligence Competency Center (BICC), Interstate is able to predict, describe and influence business decisions across the enterprise and throughout the vast network.
- Key performance measures, including unit volume, growth by segment, and growth by route
- Dynamic maps to monitor competitors, identify prospective areas for growth, and modify sales routes
- Summary reports for each customer (i.e., battery sales outlets) including sales, consignment, cores, and inventory
- Supplemental third party data for customers, prospects, and competitors
- Cleansed data, providing an accurate view of customers, prospects, and competitors
Credera’s business intelligence leadership oversaw three specific areas: market optics and analytics, data enrichment, and master data management. Project phases included:
- Requirements gathering, including current and future state business and IT process flows
- Vendor selection, including vendor demonstration scripts, analysis, and ranking
- Implementation, including deployment plan and reports
- Testing, including IUT and UAT
- Training, including contributions to eLearning and instructor-led training
- Knowledge transfer, including documentation and transition meetings
Credera also participated in vendor management for the new technologies selected, including Salesforce, Dun & Bradstreet, Experian, Informatica, Trillium Software, MicroStrategy, Micrsosoft Silverlight, and Esri.
Through increased analytics, reports, metrics, and the visual representation of this data, distributors changed how they operated.
Business intelligence resulted in:
- Providing distributors, and the home office, with a single record of truth for customers, prospects, and competitors
- Integrating directly with Salesforce, which allowed for action items to be assigned and tracked and resulted in stronger customer relationship management
- Local and national marketing campaigns, as trends could be identified and analyzed on macro and micro levels
- Delivered analytics and market intelligence to create targeted plays for multiple enterprise divisions and distributors, using distributor data and third party data enrichment
- Distributors applying the 80/20 rule to customers, as they could now fully identify their top customers and change their service model and frequency
- Updating routes based on areas of growth, erosion, and battery type
- Increased communications between distributors, making it easier to work together to win new business and take down the competition
About Interstate Batteries:
Enjoying a reputation for top-quality products, business innovations and consistently reliable service, Interstate Batteries is the No. 1 replacement brand battery in North America. Now over a billion dollar, privately held corporation, Interstate continues to thrive on our innovation, as well as our good old-fashioned business principles founded on treating others like we would like to be treated. Four lines of business make up our enterprise, employing more than 1,700 team members nationwide.