Brinker International is one of the world’s leading casual dining restaurant companies that owns, operates, and franchises more than 1,600 restaurants across 30 countries under the names Chili’s® Grill & Bar (Chili’s) and Maggiano’s Little Italy®.
Brinker hired Credera to work with Chili’s to increase online sales and enhance the digital guest experience. Credera provided (and continues to provide) strategic, mobile, responsive, user experience, ecommerce and analytical professional services to Chili’s.
Credera’s team reviewed Brinker’s requirements and after several discussions suggested an approach that provided a consistent digital experience across multiple devices. There was a very real risk the desktop, tablet, and mobile experiences would have been inconsistent and fragmented were it not for the collaborative discussions initiated between Chili’s and Credera.
Credera facilitated a strategic process focused on transforming chilis.com and chilistogo.com. The team interviewed numerous Brinker employees and carefully reviewed existing technologies. The results suggested a multi-month roadmap that also allowed Brinker’s older platform to act as host to the newer technology in the interim. This decision enabled Brinker to achieve quick wins for the business and demonstrate value for the organization overall. The multi-month transformation is well underway.
The newest release includes a responsive website that allows customers to engage with the Chili’s brand, regardless of the device they choose to use. Credera provided all creative including the home page, product pages, cart, and checkout pages across mobile, tablet, and desktop breakpoints. The mobile applications within the app stores were recently updated to reflect the design changes. All changes were developed with legacy technology in mind, allowing Brinker to upgrade to a new platform over time.
Brinker and Credera’s development efforts resulted in the following:
- Launched a responsive site for two websites
- Built responsive SharePoint templates reflecting the new design
- Updated the mobile application to better resemble the revised online versions
Improvements and enhancements to Brinker’s digital capabilities and guest experiences are ongoing.
Initial results include:
- Increased Online Sales – After implementation, online orders experienced a 25%-55% growth when compared to the previous year
- Enhanced Customer Engagement – The two original Chili’s sites now look like one, causing less guest confusion. The layout is seamless and Chili’s food takes center stage
- Optimized Traffic Adaptability – Brinker’s online traffic shifts from heavy desktop use during the day to heavy mobile web use in the evening. The responsive design allowed Brinker to reduce the number of supported templates, resulting in a smaller codebase that more quickly adapts to changes
- Improved Web Analytics – Newly available analytics have enabled Brinker to optimize the shopping process, resulting in increased sales and improved customer experience
- Met implementation timeline – Strategy, design, and implementation efforts were agreed upon and outlined at the onset of the initiative. All activities were completed on time